Mind mapping is a fairly old concept that's been around for sometime. There are quite a few software available that do this job pretty nicely. However, I feel that some features are lacking, that I hope can be remedied if I write it myself (obviously!).
An alternate option can be to simply take the source code of Free Mind and extend it.
- Add, Edit, and Delete nodes
- Provide one-many relationship between nodes
- Allow naming of links
- Allow a small definition to be provided for each node
- Optional icon(s) for a topic
- Standardized storage of the map (say, using XML)
- Ability to export map into multiple formats (PDF, Word, other mapping formats, etc.)
- Save map automatically and explicitly
- Ability to organize nodes and links into various topologies
- Ability to represent a topic in different shapes
- Ability to change color of a topic